Welcome to the "Back Porch" of the Presbyterian Church of Chestertown, Maryland

A conversation about faith and other things.



Monday, April 18, 2011

Monday of Holy Week


The morning after Palm Sunday I find myself shifting into "Holy Week Mode." For me that means finishing all the bulletins from all the services this week, making lists of what needs to be done, setting up files for every service so that I can just toss anything that comes up into each one and maybe, just maybe, I'll find things when I need them.


So that's what I did this morning, on Monday of Holy Week, April 18, 2011. Maundy Thursday bulletin done. Lists started. Appointments for home communion made. Easter bulletin started. Gave thanks for John Ames working on Good Friday service and Sunrise Service! ... Check, check, check ... it feels good to take things OFF the list.


But all day long I've felt unsettled ... but finally realized this is the way I always feel when Holy Week begins. It's not because there's a lot to do, although there is. But rather I think what it feels like is entering a "time apart." Yes, work goes on. Life goes on.


But I think for me it feels like I'm entering a "thin place" this week ... one of those places and times where I feel more directly and most intimately God's presence. It's almost like my skin is sensitive to the touch of the Spirit and I wait, holding my breath, for what is about to happen. And what will happen? In and around worship and conversations, in silence and prayer, at the store or over breakfast ... where will I see God this week?


So I start walking into Holy Week with this prayer from "Common Order", Panel on Worship, Church of Scotland (1994):


Lord Jesus Christ,

in this sacred and solemn week

when we see again the depth and mystery of your redeeming love,

help us

to follow where you go,

to stop where you stumble,

to listen when you cry,

to hurt as you suffer,

to bow our heads in sorrow when you die,

so that when raised to life again

we may share your endless joy.

Amen.


Sara



No comments:

Post a Comment